A few of my favorite films that will inspire some serious wanderlust. Enjoy!
(1) Midnight in Paris: One of Woody Allen’s best, Midnight in Paris is a romantic fantasy film that encompasses all that is beautiful about Paris -- literature, romance, history and true Parisian love.
(2) Chocolat: Set in a fictional French village and filmed throughout Burgundy and Dordogne, Chocolat stars Johnny Depp and Juliet Binoche who bring delicious French food to the big screen.
(3) The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo: Based on a thrilling Swedish book trilogy by Stieg Larsson, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo showcases beautiful, snowy Sweden and breathtaking scenes of Stockholm while revealing a shocking plotline. One of my favorite movies (and books).
(4) Let the Right One In: Also based on a bestselling book, Let the Right One In is set in Blackeberg, a suburb of Sweden and filmed throughout the north ensuring snowy scenes for this romantic horror film.
(5) The Talented Mr. Ripley: A psychological thriller that takes the audience through Positano, Naples, Rome, and Venice, The Talented Mr. Ripley stars Jude Law and Gwyneth Paltrow but the dreamy Italian cityscapes steal the show. And Jude Law in tiny swim trunks is great too.
(6) Romeo and Juliet: The original Romeo and Juliet done in 1968 provides scenery from all over the Italian countryside and includes filming in places such as Siena and Tuscunia. The perfect classic Italian film for anyone traveling through central Italy.
(7) An American Werewolf in London: A horror comedy film done in 1981, this cult classic is a must for anyone traveling throughout the United Kingdom. Filmed in Wales and London, An American Werewolf in London is both terrifying and comical and takes viewers through the streets of London as residents join the ranks of the undead. Love the 80's style special effects.
(8) Matchpoint: Another of Woody Allen’s best films starring Scarlett Johansson and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Matchpoint is a seductive psychological thriller with major London landmarks as backdrops throughout the film.
(9) Trainspotting: Set in Edinburgh and filmed in Glasgow and London, Trainspotting is a gritty crime comedy about a group of heroin addicts and their lives in the United Kingdom.
(10) Vicky Christina Barcelona: Vicky Christina Barcelona is an absolute must-see for anyone heading to Barcelona in the future. Scarlett Johansson and Javier Bardem heat up the big screen with this steamy romantic comedy set against a backdrop full of beautiful Barcelona landmarks. Beautiful people doing things in a beautiful place -- enough said.
(11) In Bruges: In Bruges, starring Colin Farrell, is a dark comedy that was both filmed and takes place in Bruges. Cinematography allows for extensive shots of the city of Bruges and various sights in the city.